The successful applicant will effectively and efficiently manage the day-to-day operations of the Compliance Unit, by ensuring that the Department follows and operates within the parameters of established legislation, polices and guidelines, and in accordance with Public Service Values. Lead and conduct internal audits and to make recommendations for improvement.
- Direct the operations of the Treasury Department’s Compliance Unit to ensure the effective and efficient operation of the unit in support of the Department’s Medium Term Strategy.
- Direct the updating, development, documentation and implementation of compliance-related legislation, policies, procedures and systems.
- Communicate and educate on the various financial regulations, policies and guidelines of the Department to ensure knowledge and understanding in order to ensure compliance.
- Develop an annual programme of compliance inspections for the Compliance Unit in liaison with the Accountant General and Deputy Accountant General, to ensure adequate coverage of areas within the timeframe and audit resources available.
- Monitor compliance programmes and systems to ensure their effectiveness.
- Lead the auditing of Treasury statements of accounts participating where necessary to ensure audits are carried out as planned in a timely and efficient manner.
- Conduct or direct the internal examination of processes, procedures and systems to ensure compliance with regulations, polices and guidelines, and to identify compliance issues for corrective action.
- Review audit work carried out to ensure that the objectives of the audit programmes are achieved, and that adequate documentation is in place to support audit programme.
- Maintain documentation of compliance activities, such complaints, requests for examination and investigation outcomes.
- Prepares reports resulting from compliance investigations, as well as monthly and quarterly reports on the compliance programme of the Department.
- Stay current on the latest financial accounting, compliance and reporting international standards, trends and best practices.
- Discuss emerging compliance issues with the Deputy Accountant General and Accountant General.
- Serve as point of contact, and provide advice to management and employees on compliance matters
- Assists with the preparation of the Department’s annual budget so that accurate and realistic goals and constraints are set for the business unit.
- Attend meetings, workshops and training sessions as instructed to ensure awareness of any change in policies or procedures which may be relevant to the role.
- Supervise and direct the work activities of assigned personnel.
- Coordinate and conduct training of assigned personnel to ensure understanding of established accounting regulations, policies, processes, procedures and systems.
- Monitor and evaluate the performance of assigned personnel in accordance with the formal Performance Management Programme; and mentors to support performance improvement where necessary.
- Perform any other duties as required by Supervisor or any other senior officers in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the unit.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field, from an accredited institution
- Five (5) years working experience inclusive of supervisory experience
- Professional certification - CPA, ACCA, GRC or equivalent certification preferred
- Three (3) years management experience
- Expert knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
- Expert knowledge of applicable policies, regulations and laws
- Excellent knowledge of accountancy principles and procedures
- Excellent knowledge of JD Edwards Accounting Software
- Excellent analytical and decision making skills
- Sound knowledge of the use of standard office equipment and computer applications
- Sound knowledge of computer programmes used for analysis and databases
- Sound knowledge of business management and accounting
- Sound oral and written communication skills
- Sound organisational and interpersonal skills
- Sound decision making and problem solving skills
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Sound supervisory and management skills