The successful applicant will manage the Public Health activities in the Territory by identifying and evaluating Public Health policies, health services and health programmes and providing advice to Government and agencies on Public Health matters to ensure that the Territory’s public health needs are met.
1. Advise on all aspects of health care, health policy, health planning and the management of health services in the BVI in order to provide information for the Minister and Government decisions.
2. Develop and set standards for health professional practice, professional registration and accreditation of health institutions and health science programmes to ensure that the workforce are appropriately trained and qualified.
3. Discharge statutory responsibilities as identified in the Public Health Act and other laws in order to effectively comply with regulations.
4. Develop and implement programmes, regulations and enforcement mechanisms in order to safeguard Public Health.
5. Monitor the national components of international and regional health programmes to ensure that they comply and respond to International Health Regulations.
6. Ensure appropriate technical input into major physical infrastructure programmes and service developments to ensure that they do not impact negativity on public health.
7. Promote essential health research and coordinate the National Health Situation Report in order to access the impact of public health initiatives and identify areas for future programmes.
8. Liaise with the BVI Health Services Authority Board on public health matters.
9. Promote inter-sectoral coordination and cooperation with all stakeholders in health matters to ensure that the Public Health needs of the Territory are met effectively.
10. Assist with the preparation of the annual budget.
11. Assist with the development and implementation of strategic plans.
12. Identify job specific and environmental factors and develop, where applicable, implement and promote the health and safety policies. Mitigate and minimise workplace hazards.
13. Perform any other related duties as required by Supervisor or any other senior officer in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the department.
Registered Medical Practitioner
Master’s Degree in Public Health or Epidemiology
Eight (8) to ten (10) years’ experience in a senior management position in health care management and Public Health policy
Expert knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
Expert knowledge of relevant laws, regulations, procedures and policies
Expert knowledge of epidemiology, health planning and health promotion principles
Expert knowledge of medical ethics of Health and Services Standards
Expert knowledge of Health Information Management and Health Disaster Management
Excellent oral and written communication skills
Good knowledge of the use of standard office equipment and computer applications