The successful applicant will provide advice, assistance and administrative support with duties pertaining to Sittings of the House of Assembly and all other associated meetings to ensure Departmental objectives are achieved in a timely and professional manner.
- Ensure the smooth and efficient operation of the department and the supervision of assigned staff.
- Assist in coordinating the preparations for Sittings of the House of Assembly and all other associated meetings to ensure Sitting packages are distributed within the time specified in the Standing Orders.
- Prepare notices of House of Assembly and assigned Select Committee meetings to ensure meetings are correctly called and all attendees notified accordingly.
- Record and prepare the Minutes of Meetings of the House of Assembly meetings and all other associated meetings to ensure accurate records are prepared in a professional and timely manner.
- Prepare Acts that are passed by the House of Assembly for assent by the Governor and then to the gazette.
- Prepare Resolutions passed by the House of Assembly and process for gazetting.
- Assist in preparation of the Department’s adhoc and annual reports including the annual budget for management information purposes.
- Assist with processing the Department’s correspondence to ensure timely and professional communication.
- Serve as Protocol or Liaison Officer when necessary, assist the Clerk in carrying out his/her duties and serve as the Clerk of the House of Assembly in his/her absence to ensure professional representation at all times.
- Deputise in the absence of the Clerk, House of Assembly.
- Assist with the preparation of the Department’s Annual Budget.
- Assist with the preparation and submission of Performance Planning and Appraisal Report for staff.
- Research, analyse and prepare reports and provide advice.
- Identify job specific and environmental factors and develop, where applicable, implement and promote the health and safety policies. Mitigate and minimise workplace hazards.
- Perform any other duties as required by the supervisor or senior officer in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the department.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration or related field
- Seven (7) years’ experience in a senior administrative capacity
- Sound knowledge of the Government structure, policies and procedures
- Sound knowledge of the Constitution of the Virgin Islands
- Sound knowledge of the Standing Orders of the House of Assembly, other related legislation and the Erskine May Parliamentary Procedure and Practice
- Sound knowledge of computerised accounting systems including the JD Edwards Accounting Software principles and procedures
- Skilled in taking and recording minutes of meetings
- Sound supervisory and management skills
- Sound oral and written communication skills
- Sound knowledge of the use of standard office equipment and computer applications
- Good interpersonal and organisational skills