The successful applicant will provide advice, assistance, and administrative support to the Permanent Secretary in formulation of policy for the Ministry and its Departments, and Government. Conducts research, develops policy proposals, liaises with Ministries and Departments on a wide range of issues and leads a variety of special projects.
- Provides assistance and support to the Permanent Secretary and the Minister in the formulation of policy and administration of the Ministry and its departments to maintain the efficient delivery of services.
- Conducts research and assist with policy development, analysis and delivery in line with the requirements of the Ministry.
- Prepares Cabinet Papers, speeches, and statements for the Minister, press releases, and answers to House of Assembly questions as required to assist the Minister.
- Writes numerous correspondences to local and external persons, agencies and departments in order to respond to the needs of the public.
- Serves as desk/liaison officer for the Ministry to improve overall efficiency.
- Serves on various committees/focus groups in order to fulfil the coordinating functions of the Ministry.
- Monitors the implementation of the Government Legislative Agenda and strategic management initiatives.
- Monitors incoming correspondence to remain current with a wide range of information and to assist with necessary follow-up action.
- Provides support to government ministries on strategic management to contribute to the overall effectiveness of the Public Service.
- Deputises in the absence of the Permanent Secretary.
- Assists with the preparation of the Ministry’s Annual Budget.
- Assists with the preparation and submission of Performance Planning and Appraisal Report for staff.
- Researches, analyses and prepares reports and provides advice.
- Identifies job specific and environmental factors and develops, where applicable, implements and promotes the health and safety policies. Mitigates and minimises workplace hazards.
- Performs any other duties as required by the Supervisor in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the Department.
- Master’s Degree in Public or Business Administration or equivalent
- Five (5) to seven (7) years’ experience in senior management or Head of Department in the Public Service
- Excellent knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
- Excellent knowledge of relevant laws, regulations, procedures and policies
- Good knowledge of Government budget and accounting procedures
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Good knowledge of the use of standard office equipment and computer applications
- Excellent analytical and decision-making skills
- Excellent interpersonal and organisational skills
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Excellent supervisory and management skills