Lead the Investment Promotion Agency’s (IPA) functions by developing strategies and programmes to promote and facilitate investments by identifying and prioritizing key markets and sectors, creating specific investment opportunities and targeting of potential investors. Serve as government’s technical adviser on investment promotion, with emphasis on attracting and actualizing both private and public sector opportunities while promoting the British Virgin Islands as a viable market for global investments.
1. Develop the Division’s investment strategy to promote investment in key sectors of the economy.
2. Provide strategic direction, and manage the daily operations of the division to ensure its goals and objectives are met.
3. Strengthen partnerships with relevant Ministries, Departments and Agencies and foster a coordinated approach towards promoting investments at all levels while enhancing the understanding and development of the sector.
4. Advise on matters related to investment promotion and facilitation to support information sharing and a sound decision making process.
5. Design and implement the planning, organisation and coordination of investment outreach missions and road shows to promote the British Virgin Islands (BVI) as an ideal investment destination.
6. Work with local investors on joint venture opportunities to foster potential relationships with foreign direct investors.
7. Direct the development and execution of the business reform agenda to attract the right investors.
8. Serve as a member of the Investment Committee for the effective evaluation of investments to the Territory.
9. Ensure the development of efficient investment processes and procedures to support a successful investment programme.
10. Oversee efficient negotiation with investors seeking to invest in the BVI to support the selection of the most suitable investment opportunities.
11. Identify sectors of the economy as individual investment opportunities and oversee the development and distribution of information to individual investors.
12. Oversee the development of country and sector specific promotion programmes and identification of target companies.
13. Monitor the performance of existing portfolios for direct investments and generate new investor leads.
14. Encourage existing investors to undertake new and additional investments serving as promoters of investing in the BVI.
15. Support the development of staff capacity through the identification of training programmes, management of action and development plans and prompt submission of Performance Planning Appraisal Reports for all staff of the investment division.
16. Performs any other related duties as required in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the department.
Master’s Degree in Economics, Investment, Finance, Social Sciences, or related International Development qualifications
Eight (8) to ten (10) years of progressive experience in trade and investment
Strong knowledge of cross-border trade/investment treaties
Expert analytical skills and decision-making skills
Excellent strategic thinking, business acumen, and entrepreneurial thinking skills
Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills
Excellent business judgement and problem solving skills and commitment to results on the ground
Excellent knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
Expert knowledge of applicable laws, regulations, policies and procedures
Excellent planning and organisational skills
Excellent knowledge of computer programmes used for documentation and presentation
High degree of diplomacy and sensitivity in dealing with internal and external clients, staff and managers at all levels
Excellent oral and written communication skills and presentation skills; demonstrated ability to synthesize and present information effectively and tailored to varying audiences
Excellent supervisory and management skills
Demonstrated knowledge of investment promotion procedures and standards in regional and international markets
Sound knowledge of international relations