The successful applicant will create and maintain an effective and efficient HR department through leadership of the unit; provide support and guidance to Department Heads and employees.
- Lead the smooth and efficient operation of the Human Resources Unit through management of daily operations and supervision of staff, and assisting in developing the Department’s plans, goals, objectives and systems.
- Lead timely accurate completion of the appraisal process, promoting a positive attitude, from goal setting for new recruits to monitoring performance of employees, initiating disciplinary where necessary.
- Manage an effective interview process, through developing, evaluating and validating interview and selection instruments, directing and conducting high-level recruitment to ensure the right candidate is recruited, and recommending conditions of service, compensation packages and performing exit interviews.
- Lead staff development / training, workshops and offers coaching to staff on performance improvements to ensure all staff are given the tools required to operate effectively.
- Lead, direct and participate in long-term strategic HR planning of the Ministry and Departments, recommending new approaches, policies and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of departments and services performed.
- Act as advisor to Permanent Secretaries, Department Heads and other senior officers; and attend meetings to offer support / guidance.
- Counsel employees regarding promotional opportunities and HR concerns. Conduct investigations and makes recommendations as appropriate regarding issues of staff disputes, grievances and misconducts. Lead employee recognition to reward excellence to encourage a high level of staff morale.
- Promote consistency across Public Service through advice and audits of employment processes of ministries/ departments.
- Liaise with the relevant ministries, departments and other agencies to obtain advice to resolve complex matters.
- Assist in compiling information for disciplinary inquiries and ensure that all disciplinary actions are handled in accordance with the human resources policies and/or executed as directed by the Governor through the Public Service Commission.
- Coordinate and conduct new employee orientations.
- Prepare correspondence, periodic reports, various documents on human resources activities (including monthly leave reports) and Commission papers.
- Identify job specific and environmental factors, develop/enforce health and safety policies and mitigate and minimise hazards to promote health and safety of officers.
Perform any other duties as required by Supervisor or any other senior officers in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the unit.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration / Management or related field
- Certification in Human Resources Management
- Five (5) to seven (7) years working experience in related field
- Excellent knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
- Excellent knowledge of applicable policies, regulations and laws
- Excellent knowledge of psychosocial interviewing and counselling techniques
- Excellent budget skills
- Excellent knowledge of JD Edwards Accounting Software
- Sound knowledge of the use of standard office equipment and computer applications
- Excellent negotiation, analytical and decision-making skills
- Excellent interpersonal and organisational skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Excellent supervisory and management skills