The successful applicant will create and preserve an effective and efficient HR department by providing leadership and direction of the unit on issues pertaining to learning and development including reporting and compliance with legislation.
1. Provide senior professional expertise in the development and implementation of training policies, programmes and systems that support the strategic direction of the unit while ensuring their integration with HR processes.
2. Coordinate the implementation of short-term goals and objectives related to the function within agreed timescales and budgets to support the delivery of departmental objectives.
3. Provide guidance on learning and development programmes, training design, and other human resources issues ensuring that matters are effectively dealt with.
4. Collaborate with managers to identify, and analyse learning and talent development needs of staff across the service.
5. Develop a training calendar and utilise a range of cost effective training models which will increase the quality and effectiveness of training, meets the identified staff training and development needs of the service while ensuring value for money.
6. Create, design and deliver L&TD solutions to support organisational change and development using a blend of methodologies including computer based, self-managed learning, remote delivery, management cascade, class room and on the job learning, as appropriate.
7. Coordinate the delivery of trainings and information sessions including staff inductions, and develop or facilitate targeted, specific training sessions and programmes, as required.
8. Keep abreast with current thinking on training practice and methods; e-learning development and ‘rapid’ on-line software technology.
9. Conduct and participate in a variety of surveys, studies and assessments. Make recommendations on future directions, professional development strategies and appropriate initiatives for learning and development
10. Develop communications on learning and development, and other human resources topics and make presentations.
11. Prepare reports on learning and development programmes, trainings, and other human resources issues required by senior administration for planning purposes.
12. Identify needs and make recommendations on financial, information technology and human resources needs to support the goals and objectives in the area of function.
13. Attend senior level meetings and represent the department at internal and external meetings and meet with staff or other associations regarding a variety of issues and requests.
14. Develop and manage relationships with internal stakeholders, external organisations and government officials.
15. Direct and manage a team of administrative staff ensuring that they are well supported and trained to accomplish the goals and objectives of the unit.
16. Carry out such other duties as may be reasonably requested by the line manager or any other senior officer in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the unit.
17. Compliance with health and safety policy and procedures and risk assessments in order to maintain a safe working environment for colleagues and clients.
18. Sharing in the Government’s’ Public Service Principles and Values
19. Maintain confidentiality of information. Information must not be communicated to unauthorised persons.
20. Posts that require membership to a professional body are to hold a relevant registration/membership and comply with the standards and guidelines of the professional practice, education and conduct and must act at all times within the boundary of the code of conduct.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources Management, Business Administration / Management or related field
- Five (5) years managerial experience in related field; 3 years training experience
- Valid BVI Driver’s License
- Certification in Training and Assessment or Talent Development, is preferred
- Excellent knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
- Excellent knowledge of the principles and methods of training, with the ability to design, develop, manage and implement training programmes
- Ability to prioritise workload, pay attention to detail, meet deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Highly organised and able to maintain confidentiality
- Strong leadership, interpersonal and organisational skills
- Relationship management and partnership skills, including negotiation and influencing skills; proactively building relationships with others to achieve results.
- Working knowledge JD Edwards or other similar Human Resources Information System experience is preferred
- Good computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite applications, including Word, Excel and Powerpoint
- Ability to work extended hours (occasionally) and work under pressure
- Excellent customer service skills and interpersonal skills
- Excellent presentation and facilitation skills
- Excellent planning, analysis and project management skills
- Sound knowledge of assessing organisational needs and implementing solutions
- Excellent knowledge of the use of standard office equipment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including a strong commend of English grammar
- Ability to work on own initiative, under pressure and meet deadlines
- Competent in dealing with difficult situations
- Sound experience in design, delivery of learning and development programmes
- Excellent training and coaching skills.