The successful applicant will perform and assist with the daily maintenance of the employee payroll database of salaried government officers, coordinate and implement new and existing payroll-related changes in liaison with the Treasury Department ensuring that functions are performed in a timely and accurate manner.
1. Adhere to relevant policies and procedures applicable to salaries and allowance entitlements and examine personnel files to determine employment status, ensuring accurate payments are made.
2. Maintain an up-to-date electronic database of Existing Employees’ Profile using payroll software, including:
(a) name changes
(b) bank account and distribution changes
(c) changes in authorized salary and allowances (ensure they are in line with current salary structure/schedule of allowances before creating or updating employee’s profile and refer any inconsistencies to the appropriate desk officer to ensure accurate payments are made)
(d) changes in dates of appointment
3. Review changes and new profile records making appropriate changes and corrections to data prior to final payroll run to ensure accuracy of data.
4. Prepare detailed salary reports on payroll activities in order to present timely, accurate data as required.
5. Maintain records to ensure accurate and well-organied document management, retaining hard and electronic copies and sorting/filing documents used in each pay period in accordance with approved filing style.
6. Compile salary and allowance year-to-date totals in written and table formats for inclusion in the Department’s Annual Report to ensure the timely flow of information.
7. Tabulate honoraria and overtime payments and draft memoranda for review and approval by the relevant desk officer, ensuring these are processed on a timely basis.
8. Tabulate salary payment cheques for the Treasury Department to facilitate interim payment to officers.
9. Draft routine letters and documents in a timely, accurate manner to ensure continual information and communication.
10. Performs any other duties as required by Management in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the unit.
Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or related field
Three (3) years’ experience in Accounting or related area
Sound knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
Sound knowledge of payroll administration
Excellent knowledge of JD Edwards Accounting Software
Excellent knowledge of the use of standard office equipment and relevant computer software applications
Excellent analytical and decision-making skills
Excellent interpersonal and organisational skills
Excellent oral and written communication skills
Ability to work well under pressure