1. Identify Programme Area priorities in order to assist with compiling annual estimates, work programmes and reports for effective department management.
2. Provide advice and technical guidance to the assigned National Disaster Management Council committees.
3. Attend meetings, workshops and training sessions to ensure awareness of any change in policies or procedures relevant to the role.
4. Manage and administer the Disaster Risk Management Sector Integration Programme within the confines of the Department’s Policy and Strategy to ensure effective disaster management planning.
5. Provide guidance and advice to public and private sector agencies on the development of their specific contingency plans for effective and efficient management during emergencies and disasters.
6. Provide guidance and advice to the government sectors on the development,implementation and monitoring of Comprehensive Disaster Management initiatives.
7. Establish, sensitise and maintain a cadre of Disaster Liaison Officers in each government agency to support the integration of comprehensive disaster management principles.
8. Maintain the National Disaster Management Plan and sub-plans by facilitating required updates.
9. Upon activation of the National Emergency Operations Centre, assume the role of the Operations Chief in order for effective and efficient management during an emergency
and/ or disaster.
10. Perform any other duties as required by the supervisor or senior officer in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the department.
The Operations Chief is assigned by the National Emergency Operations Centre (NEOC) Director and is responsible for the management of all operations which are directly applicable to the primary mission. Upon activation of the National Emergency Operations Centre (NEOC), the Planning & Preparedness Manager becomes the Operations Chief. Duties include:
Obtaining a briefing from the NEOC Director
Develop the operations portion of the incident action plan
Activate and supervise the organizational elements in accordance with the incident action plan and directs its execution
Coordinating Operations Section activities with other sections
Forward requests for international assistance
Recommending areas for staging of personnel/equipment, and coordinating this function with the Logistics Chief
Coordinate tactics, request and/or release resources, makes expedient changes to the incident action plan as necessary, and report such actions to the NEOC Director
Reporting information about special activities, events and occurrences to the NEOC Director
Determining the needs and requesting resources as required
Monitoring the chain-of-command and span-of-control for efficiency
Assuring effective communications
Supervise Operations Section ensuring safety and welfare of all personnel
Review suggested list of resources to be released and initiate recommendation for release of resources
Maintain Unit/Activity Log
Skills and Competencies
Bachelor’s degree in Psychology, Social Sciences, Public Administration or related field
Five (5) years’ working experience in a related area
Sound knowledge of the Government structure, policies and procedures
Sound knowledge of mainstreaming processes in Disaster Management
Sound knowledge of contingency planning methods and analysis
Sound knowledge of proposal writing and budgeting
Sound knowledge of the use of standard office equipment and computer applications
Sound supervisory and management skills
Good interpersonal and organisational skills
Sound oral and written communication skills
Ability to work well under pressure