Submitted by SGibbs on 26 April 2022 - 4:15pm
Internal Position No.:
JLSC 2 of 2022
The role of Senior Legislative Counsel will undertake legal research and draft legislation in order to assist in the development of Law Reform in the Territory.
1. Conduct research and analyse issues relating to any subject of law reform or legal matter and raise any issues considered necessary with the Chairman in order for appropriate action to be taken.
2. Prepare draft provisions and legislation for consideration and approval in order to assist in the development of Law Reform in the Territory.
3. Review existing legislation and provide legal advice in order to provide assistance in the modernizing, improvement and simplifying the law.
4. Attend/Participate in relevant workshops and seminars and assist with presentations when requested in order to represent the Department and ensure awareness of up-to-date legislation, knowledge and information.
5. Provide legal advice and written opinions based on extensive research into subject matters to be considered or being considered by the Law Reform Commission.
6. Perform any other duties as required by the supervisor or senior officer in order to contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of the department.
- Bachelor of Law degree and a post graduate degree, diploma or certificate in Legislative Drafting
- Legal Practitioner’s Certificate
- Five (5) years’ experience in drafting legislation or an interest in legislative drafting
- Sound knowledge of Government structure, policies and procedures
- Excellent knowledge of applicable statutes and statutory interpretation
- Sound knowledge of the use of standard office equipment
- Working knowledge of relevant computer software applications
- Excellent interpersonal and organisational skills
- Excellent legal research skills
- Good analytical skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Sound supervisory skills
Tuesday, 10 May 2022