Press Release

Ministry of Health & Social Development
Social Development
Release Date:
Thursday, 5 July 2018 - 2:27pm

One hundred of the most vulnerable households in the Territory will receive help in replacing appliances and furnishings as part of the BVI Red Cross’ Replacement Project.

Red Cross Director, Mrs. Helen Frett, said that the joint initiative with the Ministry of Health and Social Development will be done through a vouchering system to be redeemed at specific local furniture and appliance stores.

Mrs. Frett said that the aim of the project is geared to get families back into a proper and functional living space.

The joint initiative follows the Housing Recovery Assistance Programme, which allowed homeowners and landlords to receive assistance to repair their properties and the Financial Assistance Programme that aided over a thousand households with monetary assistance post the hurricane disasters of Irma and Maria.

The Replacement Project will target those homeowners who remain in shelters, which would account for 30 percent of the funds.  The remaining 70 percent of households will be awarded based on their vulnerability once verified by the Social Development Department.

Social workers and Red Cross volunteers will physically verify applicants who have applied for previous aid, and have updated their information using a CommCare, which is a data collection software used on handheld devices that also identifies the most vulnerable more efficiently. Registration began in June and will conclude in August.

New applicants are required to provide their National Health Insurance identification number, proof of total monthly salary or income and proof of total amount spent within the household, such as an electricity or internet bill.

Interested persons can apply by visiting the following locations: Road Town at the Red Cross Building and the Social Development Department; Virgin Gorda at the elderly home; and the district offices on Anegada and Jost Van Dyke.

For more information on the BVI Red Cross’ Replacement Project, residents are advised to call 344-5056 or visit the BVI Red Cross Facebook page for updates.

Residents who are still experiencing financial hardships can contact the Social Development Department at 468-3650, 468-9371 or email at

The Ministry of Health and Social Development aspires to provide a caring and integrated system of health and social services that facilitates the recovery of human development and quality of life in the British Virgin Islands.

Photographs and flyers are attached.

Caption 1 of 2: Pictured are social workers and Red Cross volunteers during a training session of CommCare software application on their handheld devices in June 2018.

Caption 2 of 2: Pictured is a social worker using CommCare for the BVI Red Cross’ Replacement Project.

Flyer: Red Cross Household Replacement Project 


Adrianna J. Soverall

Ministry of Health and Social Development
Tortola, British Virgin Islands
Telephone: 1(284)468-2272 or 2174