Information Officer (Ag.)
Ministry of Transportation Works and Utilities
Water and Sewerage
Director of the Water and Sewage Department Mrs. Perline Scatliffe-Leonard was re-elected Vice President of the Caribbean Water and Sewage Association (CAWASA).
Mrs. Scatliffe-Leonard was re-elected at the association’s 27th Annual General Meeting recently held in Montego Bay, Jamaica.
The director said that after the hurricanes in 2017, CAWASA supplied pumps for sewage and water. She said supplies and materials for the lines for water were also supplied to the department.
The areas discussed at this year’s meeting included:
- The case for recycled wastewater and rainwater use in improving the climate.
- Making a Hydro Meteorological Network Infrastructure more climate resilient, leading to timely more reliable and accurate data collection.
- Using Information Communication Technology (ICT) in water and wastewater quality testing to improve the reliability, validity and sustainability of water quality testing in the Caribbean.
- Protecting water quality through best management practices.
- Understanding Global Water Intelligence (GWI) customers in regards to satisfaction and bill payment.
The officers elected to the executive committee were:
President: Mr. Christopher Husbands, General Manager of NAWASA, Grenada
Vice President: Mrs. Perline Scatliffe Leonard, Director of Water and Sewage Department, Government of the Virgin Islands
Secretary: Mr. Garth Saunders, General Manager of CWSA, St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Treasurer: Mr. Edmund Regis, General Manager of WASCO, St, Lucia
Immediate Past President: Mr. Bernard Ettinoffe, General Manager of DOWASCO, Dominica.
CAWASA is the successor organisation to the Caribbean Basin Water Management Programme Inc. (CBWMP Inc.) which was incorporated in St Lucia on November 30, 2001 under the Companies Act of Saint Lucia No. 2001/237. CBWMP Inc. was the successor organisation to the Caribbean Basin Management Project which was incorporated in Barbados in 1996.
CWWA is a regional non-governmental organisation established by an Act of Parliament in Trinidad and Tobago in 1991.