A protected area is defined as “an area of land and/or sea especially dedicated to the protection and maintenance of biological diversity, and of natural and associated cultural resources, and managed through legal or other effective means” (IUCN 1994).
There are approximately fifty one (51) designated protected areas in the current system of protected areas. This includes national and marine parks, fisheries protected areas, a forestry reserve (Sage Mountain National Park), and water areas. Depending on their designation, protected areas are currently managed by the National Parks Trust, Conservation and Fisheries Department or the Department of Agriculture.
Notice of Intent to vary Schedule 2 of the National Parks Trust Act, 2006
The Minister for Natural Resources and Labour in consultation with the National Parks Trust under Section 17(1) (a) of the National Parks Act, 2006 (No. 4 of 2006) hereby notifies the public of his intention to vary Schedule 2 by the addition of an area as an amended park or other protected area. The areas in consideration are described as:
- BAR BAY HABITAT MANAGEMENT AREA
- GREAT THATCH PROTECTED AREA
- SMUGGLERS COVE AND BELMONT ESTATE PROTECTED AREA
To assist the public in understanding the reasons for and purposes of the proposed amendments, pursuant to section 15 of the National Parks Trust Act, 2006, physical copies of the proposals may be inspected at the following locations:
- National Parks Trust, 57 Main Street, Road Town, Tortola, Virgin Islands
- Ministry of Natural Resources and Labour, Central Administration Building, Road Town, Tortola, Virgin Islands
- Conservation and Fisheries Department, Quastisky Building, Road Town, Tortola, Virgin Islands
- Government Administration Building, The Valley, Virgin Gorda, Virgin Islands
- Government Administration Building, The Settlement, Anegada, Virgin Islands
- Government Administration Building, Great Harbour, Jost Van Dyke, Virgin Islands
- BVI Post, Road Town, Tortola, Virgin Islands
Interested persons may make written submissions to the Director of the National Parks Trust about the proposals by completing the comment form here, through written submissions to the offices of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Labour or the National Parks Trust of the Virgin Islands.
The deadline for submission is 29 April 2016.